Thursday, September 13, 2018

Growing up in a European family in steel town has had its share of challenges.  

We should all be proud of our heritage, as our new generation will lose a lot of what we grew up with.

Henceforth today's thoughts.  How many of you have italian, portugese, croatian, serbian, polish, Indian and other backgrounds... probably the better part of my whole FB family and friends... right ?? LOL

The ties we have across the ocean will soon be gone forever.  
Aging family and friends overseas and well, the old, family immigrated and lost communication.
I for one, have not been to Italy yet.  HINT HINT... so if anyone wishes to bring me... I'll pay, hahahah lets go... start the plane...  As for our customs and beliefs... don't lose them.  We get caught up in so much of whats happening in the media, news and posts, that we should always remain humble and proud of our upbringing.  Don't get me wrong.. CANADA is a great country and I feel so blessed that my parents landed in Nova Scotia, and not New York... just saying... in Canada, we have much diversity, but we have gotten to keep our cultures, and I find that many who immigrated to the USA lost that.  Again, just my opinion...

Growing up in a large blended family, was amazing... We had our ups and downs, or struggles and of course, for our parents, the old language barrier.
But let me tell you, i wouldn't have traded it for the world, and neither should you.... the stories we have, well, I could write a book.  After all the crazy hardships, they came out standing always... May my parents RIP forever.. so proud... and my brothers , well they rock... they made and molded me into the tough cookie I am today... and in the center of all this was FOOD... Food was always a blessing, and if you had a rough on your head, which we did, and food on the table, you were ahead of the game.  So feel blessed, that they provided all this.

And if you sit down with my brothers... you'll be in tears and your face will hurt from the laughter. 
I'm thinking a movie motion picture... from the Ottawa street neighborhood to the east end... We all survived.  Hell i don't know how, especially when i hear about the alley way shenanigans that went on near Grosvenor.  That's another story, another day.

Life will always have challenges, but remember your roots.  Make the italian sausages, make the smoked pork tenderloins.... bake those biscotti's and canoli's... and continue making fresh homemade sauce... yes not from a jar or can... put the damn pot on the stove and make it fresh !!!!!
I still do, and I"m hoping my kids will keep their culture and pass it on for generations to come.

I'm especially proud of business's that have kept the culture movement, like Sam's Queenston Bakery, Ontario Ravioli, many shops and even family restaurants, like Ventura's on James St., land other ethnic food venues.

Canada is a great country, and when they opened their doors to immigration, they became an even bigger one.  This land was made on people who like my dad, built caskets, that's right... he was a carpenter and immigrated and built coffins, it was a business people were dying to get into... (hahah sorry had to throw that in)... and my Uncle Louie, well he was delivering bread, so the going joke was, he was feeding the living...

So feel proud today, don't ever be embarrassed of your heritage.  Enjoy the Indian food, the chevapi from Bosnian meats mmmmm and the italian sausage from Nardini's.... or better yet... learn to make your own, and leave the recipes for your children for years to come.  September brings memories of making tomato sauce in our garages, canning fruit, and jarring vegetables from the garden and then of course, the best WINE MAKING... when winter rolled around the pork sales started at the grocery stores, and sausage making and prosciutto and salami time... bring it on... 
So go on with your day everyone, and Drink , Eat , and be Merry !  and drink alone, I do ...


Tutti a tavola e mangiare"... Lidia "B"....


No comments:

Post a Comment

December downtime ....

Hello fellow bloggers, FB friends/family, Twitter peeps, and Google + followers... I've decided this month to take some downtime, t...