Wednesday, September 19, 2018

A Mid-Life Crisis ??? really....

"an emotional crisis of identity and self-confidence that can occur in early middle age." according to some online directory search....



But truly, is it really a "thing"....  I often wonder.  One time I heard a women tell me, that she loved my tattoos and wondered at what stage in my life did I get them ?  Like really, what does that all mean.  And what does it truly matter right ?

Well one in my late 30's and other mid 40's.   And honestly I'm working on #3...pushing 55.
Oh don't worry, I know the sags and wags are coming and I'll be in retirement home, begging my health care worker to scrub my ankles because their dirt on it.  Or the pic will sag to the point, that I'm going to wonder WTF it was that was on my shoulder or ankle.  Hopefully I'll be suffering from dementia and it won't make a difference... We have to laugh about it.

So she kind of looked at me.  And I said, and I also am learning to drive a motorcycle, it's on my bucket list.  But that's a whole other days talks, the old Bucket List.

People restore cars, and love driving something that they drove in the younger days, so be it.  Is it really a crisis, or just a pleasure thing, or something that makes us truly happy ?

I find though, that something does come over us, once we've hit the golden years... the 50 thing.  It has many names, and all of us cringe when we hear them.  He or she did this and changed their hair colour or shaved their heads, they MUST be going through a mid life crisis.  or it happens around retirement time. 

Why don't we just take it at that, at this point in our lives, or whenever it is that it happens, take it with grace and do what you  need to do.  Once, again, who cares what people think.  Because no matter how, I guarantee you someone will say something.  I've been guilty of it from time to time myself.  I'd be lying if I said I haven't.

After much scrutinizing , I've realized this.  Time seems to truly be against us, once we've hit that mid century age of the great "50".   And many of us start to plan or think of where we are towards that dreaded retirement age, that we all ended up feeling like it's a death sentence, when it truly shouldn't have to be. Yes, I agree, well the primes of our lives, were probably 20's and 30's and possibly 40's... but it can be anytime you make it to be great.

Our problem is we spend too much time reading the obituaries, and I know, many of you reading this blog do LOL So we start noticing that people our ages or even younger, are leaving us way too soon.
I'll have to admit, that our generation, doesn't seem to hitting those higher decade numbers of age, then our grandparents have and even our parents.  What happens then , is we panic, and we rush out and start doing, what people are calling, crazy things, or crisis things.  Things we didn't do or buy, or things we have on that dreaded bucket list, and want to know we did it before our time clock runs out.

My take on all this, again, whatever, JUST DO IT...  and if it happens to happen now, in our golden years, well, heck, it is what it is.  For instance, cars.  I know a couple of pairs of hoodlums that are wanting some hot built up Camaro's and Bandit cars ... is it because of their age, well maybe up until this time, we've been so busy putting our damn kids through school and now we are just starting to breath a little, and wanting things we couldn't get while raising a family.  Have any of you thought of  that.   Because the first thing that comes out of our kids mouths, is,  WOW , is Dad going through mid life crisis ?  No he's not.... We just couldn't do it sooner.  A 1970 or older Chevy Camaro, was no place to put car seats or raise kids in.   Most of us had mini vans, and mid size 4 door vehicles.  It was what it was, right ??? 

As for anything else, like getting your "M" license, or flying a small plane.  Backpacking over in Europe, well heck, we couldn't have done it before hand with a family and our other circumstances, like a career etc.  So when is a good time.  Whenever it deems to be for you.    I know I've said this time and time again, in previous blogs.  But do what makes YOU happy. 

Is there such a thing as mid life crisis, well yes, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it a crisis.  Society and the media etc., and so forth, seem to make it a bigger deal than what it is.  Take my oldest brother for example, he's seen the world, because of his work career, and has travelled and has more mileage than most people will in lifetime.  I'm talking seriously like Delta has sent him gifts for how much travelling he's done.  So in fact, he would probably not have to worry about going to see certain countries, because at some point in time, he's worked in them.  Now he's close to retirement and can probably relax and enjoy his grandchildren, and just want to be home more.  No harm in that.

Some of us have been blessed with great careers and finances, that we were able to do a lot of things in our younger ages, and while still raising a family and / or working in our careers.  Count your blessings I always say.  If we, now at our age, want to venture and do things, however far fetched them may seem to many of you, then I'm great with that.  Are you ? 


I'm going to cut this short, because I said I didn't want to write long blogs, so as to bore you all.  How truly blessed I have been this past week, and have had over 700 views from my readers over the world wide web, even as far as Italy and good old Montreal viewers. 

Mid life crisis, doesn't have to be what it means.  Yes our thinking, and our routines, and what we want to accomplish may suddenly come to a view or to a halt, to a point where we are re-evaluating things.  Then fine.  But do what makes you happy and when you can do it.  Get that tattoo, and where you want it, (not going to reveal where my next ones going),  and learn to fly a damn plane, and go back packing in the Himalaya's... just remember don't forget about Miss "B" and include me.  Mid life crisis, can develop into depression, so do what makes you happy and content, and when you can do it.  Don't think about remorse and immortality and all the things to bring you down.  Make these years the best years of your life.

Drive the car you want, and enjoy your grandchildren, travel with them. Make these years the best you can with the means you have.  DO NOT compare your life with others, and what they have and what they are doing.  You're only setting yourself up for more anxiety and depression.  Live Love Laugh.  

Love you all "B"...

2 comments:

  1. Omg ,you are a pro. Love everything you write !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so so much... always wanted to do something like this.. i am always open to ideas lol... take care

      Delete

December downtime ....

Hello fellow bloggers, FB friends/family, Twitter peeps, and Google + followers... I've decided this month to take some downtime, t...